Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 165 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 2019-08-11, 04:07 AM   #8206
Canoeheadted
Unicyclist

non-rider: "(insert whatever they say)"
me: if they're nice, "It's evolution!"
If they're not nice, "It's evolution... some of get there but most of us don't!"
Canoeheadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-11, 06:08 AM   #8207
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
Of course there are situations where the comments are clearly not meant as a put down.
Those are the ones I respond to, mostly. And often I will get into a conversation about unicycles with people who are riding in the same direction, or people who talk to me when I'm stopped. Most have basic questions about the unicycle, while others are seriously interested in trying it or learning to ride.

Today, on the Folsom Dam Crossing bridge, a couple walking in the opposite direction, the man said "You are an authentic legend!" No chance to ask if he'd ever seen me before...

Earlier in today's ride, "Aren't you missing half of your bike?" A typical one. I was passing by so I got out "I don't miss it" but that's kind of abrupt. I think I'd rather say something like "I used to miss it, but now I'm over it."

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-11, 06:28 AM   #8208
JayNo
Unicyclist

Surprised

Today I was at my usual turn around spot when a neighbor said, "I'm surprised you are still doing this." to which I replied, "So am I."

I also got a "You crazy bastard!" from the passenger of a car going by.

These sorts of things just don't happen to me when I'm on a bike.
JayNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-11, 09:15 AM   #8209
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Of course there are situations where the comments are clearly not meant as a put down..
On today's ride a bicycle passed me, slowed down and really made a point of say he thought what I was doing was amazing. So I did feel a tad guilty after writing that post and then getting such a warm and genuine compliment. I was just too buggered to reply with anything other than "thanks mate" where I really did want to show my appreciation for the supportive comment.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-11, 01:49 PM   #8210
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Perhaps this article has been posted before, but worth a read. A study of people's comments towards unicyclists. Not really scientific, but still amazingly accurate from my experience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...2nqXmjwQd_edKw
I hadn't seen that article before. Compared to this thread, it is very scientific, and deals with the full range of comments and reactions one usually encounters.

The article says that "mothers’ comments praised and usually informed the children." I have encountered this reaction many times ("Look, honey, it's a you-knee-cycle"), but from fathers as well as mothers, and in my experience it is strongly associated with neighborhoods where upwardly-mobile parents are focused on building their children's vocabulary to get them into the best schools. Sometimes, though, this remark is made under duress, seemingly to ward off an imminent temper tantrum.

In a book I read long ago, there was a quote from some famous hustler, saying that you can often learn more about a person by speaking to him or her than you can by listening. This can also be true if you "speak" with a unicycle, and sometimes you don't just learn about the character of an individual, but of an entire neighborhood.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-11, 08:24 PM   #8211
wobbling bear
GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

Quote:
Very true, I believe these comments are usually intended to demean the unicyclist, perhaps based out of jealously. There seems to be this need to have say something, but it can't be positive and in some way must also deride the efforts and skill of the unicyclist.

Perhaps this article has been posted before, but worth a read. A study of people's comments towards unicyclists. Not really scientific, but still amazingly accurate from my experience.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...2nqXmjwQd_edKw

In the final observation it states it's the older males who are the worst and for me this does suggest some mild aggression.
what surprises me in the article is that the author is probably "mature" so is not any more in the competition for female attention.
I am saying this because I got extremely few disparaging comments (very very few ... except in England ) So I always thought that because of my age the young males were not supposed to be jealous.
Old 2019-08-12, 03:03 AM   #8212
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbling bear View Post
I got extremely few disparaging comments (very very few ... except in England )
Yeah, there is a bit of uni-hate where I live, but it is really quite rare. That article made me wonder about England a little, or at least Newcastle, but I have never unicycled over there. Perhaps the fact that the author was studying people's reactions also provoked some hostility. An old man on a unicycle is one thing, an old man on a unicycle who stares at you is another.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-12, 03:41 AM   #8213
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Compared to this thread, it is very scientific.
Quite true, I shouldn't have implied the article was not scientific when clearly it has been done by a professional, only that the sampled area and researcher numbers (ie, just 1) were limited, so only a reflection on that location at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by song View Post
Yeah, there is a bit of uni-hate where I live, but it is really quite rare.
I'm sure New Yorker's are much more friendly than Novocastrians
Old 2019-08-12, 07:38 PM   #8214
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

There is a positive spin that can be applied to practically any disparaging or sarcastic comment: The non-rider thinks you can take it, and on some level they know you are unicycling because you like it, not because it is cool.

I lived in Hong Kong 1996-1998. Many of my colleagues were expat Brits. Their sense of humor was very much based on the phrase "taking the piss (out of someone)." Basically insulting someone else. It wasn't a big deal, because you were drinking buddies at the end of the day. But I thought the British sense of humo(u)r was different than the American version. Americans seemed more likely to engage in self-deprecating humor. That may have changed in the last 20 years.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-13, 10:04 PM   #8215
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNo View Post
I also got a "You crazy bastard!" from the passenger of a car going by.
Note that there used to be a unicycle group in Oregon called the Unicycle Bastards. I can't remember if they were based around Portland or a different area, but they were mostly a Muni group, I think.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-18, 02:42 PM   #8216
Siddhartha Valmont
Unicyclist

Quote:
I'm sure New Yorker's are much more friendly than Novocastrians
If the poor chaps are newly castrated, that can explain a lot... ok, I am out
Old 2019-08-19, 04:27 AM   #8217
JayNo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Note that there used to be a unicycle group in Oregon called the Unicycle Bastards. I can't remember if they were based around Portland or a different area, but they were mostly a Muni group, I think.
Looks like Portland, and about 40 miles North of me, but 5 years in the past.
https://unicyclebastards.tumblr.com/

Looks to be a fun group-
"A biking club with a unicycling problem." - ratpatroljeef
JayNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-19, 12:12 PM   #8218
jjnaude

Thought this was mildly amusing :
"That seems a good idea... Mountain bike prices being what they are."
jjnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-24, 11:53 AM   #8219
BruceC
Unicyclist

Following @Gockie on a ride today. As @Gockie rode past a man I heard him say to his friend "where's the rest of the bike". Normal sort of comment, not directed at us. Then I passed him a second or two later and he said, "Ahh, there it is". From his point of view that's what it must have looked like. Made me smile.

Last edited by BruceC; 2019-08-24 at 12:05 PM.
Old 2019-08-26, 01:59 AM   #8220
mrfixit
Unicyclist

"show off"
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
day, mumpitz, nonriders, unicycle