Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2016-09-17, 04:48 PM   #46
Vertigo
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrops View Post
110kgf should be plenty to keep the spokes from becoming slack during riding. Most rims are rated to around 120kgf anymore, and the recommendation is generally to keep the tension between 110-120. For any specific rim you need to check with the manufacturer, but these numbers seem pretty consistent.

I wonder if you had twisted spokes, and as you rode the spokes untwisted without the nipple moving thereby loosening. That is a dramatic difference between the "set" tension, and the tension after riding. I don't think it is close enough to be explained by spoke stretch. Maybe though. It is hard to say anything more than speculation without having the wheel in front of me.
Would this be the correct tension for a Velocity Dyad? Also a Dominator 2? I'm getting a tension meter soon and will try it out on these two rims.
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-17, 11:40 PM   #47
jtrops
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
Would this be the correct tension for a Velocity Dyad? Also a Dominator 2? I'm getting a tension meter soon and will try it out on these two rims.
I can't say for the Dominator 2, but Velocity recommends 110-130kgf for all of their rims. I usually build 120-125kgf with Velocity.

As for the Dominator 2: UDC should be able to give a tension spec. (I haven't ever seen one though). Still Modern rims seem to all do fine between 110-120kgf, so without more specific info I would go with that.

Tags
evening, rim, spoke, tension, tyre