Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-02-17, 07:11 AM   #31
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
5 minutes of juggling 3 balls while idling and I'm usually exhausted, and I'm a distance-runner.
Sounds like your idling could use some refinement. If you watch a unicycle performer idle, it will have large strokes and look very onerous. That's the idea; make it look difficult and sketchy. And if you're trying to show off, this is generally more interesting to an audience than a low-energy idle.

But if it's just for you, low energy is better. With practice, you can make small wheel movements that take a lot less energy. These small movements can even include long pauses or stops; you just want to keep the wheel moving from front to back of your balance point.

Adding juggling or other activities, naturally, will force you to work harder until you get used to the combination of activities.

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-17, 04:52 PM   #32
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
These small movements can even include long pauses or stops
I find it much easier to achieve momentary a still stand while idling between the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Conversely, doing a still stand with the pedals at or near the 6:00/12:00 position is almost impossible. It seems logical that a small, tight idle uses less energy, but in my experience, reversing the wheel direction on small idles takes more effort than on the 3:00/9:00 variety. I probably have not spent enough time practicing small, tight idling. Assuming some kind of correction (pivot) needs to be made at either end of the idle, I find it's easier to make a larger correction in the 3:00/9:00 position.

Regarding juggling while unicycling, maybe a small idle is easier than a large one.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-19, 06:44 PM   #33
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
is playing while riding the problem (difficulty multitasking), or is the problem with your hands being frozen in place on the tin whistle close to your head (awkward balance position)?

I have never attempted to play tin whistle or recorder on the unicycle, but in my imagination that seems much much easier than unicycling and juggling...go figure...
It seems I'm still using my arms to help me balanced while idling, even while juggling. I just need to learn to stay balanced idling while keeping my arms still either on my chest or my lap or hips. This should help with the flute playing.
Acrorebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-19, 06:47 PM   #34
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfoss View Post
Sounds like your idling could use some refinement. If you watch a unicycle performer idle, it will have large strokes and look very onerous. That's the idea; make it look difficult and sketchy. And if you're trying to show off, this is generally more interesting to an audience than a low-energy idle.

But if it's just for you, low energy is better. With practice, you can make small wheel movements that take a lot less energy. These small movements can even include long pauses or stops; you just want to keep the wheel moving from front to back of your balance point.

Adding juggling or other activities, naturally, will force you to work harder until you get used to the combination of activities.
Thanks for the tips. I may not rush out to get a 20" after all, unless I see a good deal. When I'm not juggling while idling my idling tends to be small movements and isn't that tiresome. The idles are much larger while juggling, but they've been getting smaller over the past year.

I also need to practice keeping my arms still while idling(I hardly bothered with this before learning to juggle while idling); even while juggling I still use my arms and adjust my arms and elbows to keep me balanced.
Old 2019-02-19, 06:51 PM   #35
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
I find it much easier to achieve momentary a still stand while idling between the 3:00 and 9:00 positions. Conversely, doing a still stand with the pedals at or near the 6:00/12:00 position is almost impossible. It seems logical that a small, tight idle uses less energy, but in my experience, reversing the wheel direction on small idles takes more effort than on the 3:00/9:00 variety. I probably have not spent enough time practicing small, tight idling. Assuming some kind of correction (pivot) needs to be made at either end of the idle, I find it's easier to make a larger correction in the 3:00/9:00 position.

Regarding juggling while unicycling, maybe a small idle is easier than a large one.
Great advice. I'm already at the point where I can do short idling stops(usually 1 second or 2) when juggling while idling, though sometimes I can screw up if I make too many stops. For balance, I find it easier to do big idles while juggling, though it would be less tiring to do small idles while juggling, but I would need to practice this. Due to weather haven't practiced much playing flute while idling.
Old 2019-02-19, 08:59 PM   #36
As Stupid Does
Unicyclist

Y’ll might look at this link…

Alonso E. Lara shares two short video clips playing flute above unicycle

Mama says,
“Stupid is as stupid does.”

As Stupid Does is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-19, 11:25 PM   #37
JimT
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Stupid Does View Post

I'd bet playing an end blown flute like the one in the video would be easier then a transverse (side-blown) flute that the Acrorebel was thinking of. But what do I know, I can't play either.
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-20, 02:37 PM   #38
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrorebel View Post
It seems I'm still using my arms to help me balanced while idling, even while juggling. I just need to learn to stay balanced idling while keeping my arms still either on my chest or my lap or hips. This should help with the flute playing.
On my last ride, I practiced holding my hands like I was holding a tin whistle..to get a sense of what you're dealing with. I found that position challenging, not good for balance. It was much harder than I first imagined. I suppose that when the arms are taken out of the equation of balance, the hips have to compensate.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-22, 01:40 AM   #39
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Stupid Does View Post

Thanks, that was impressive! Not surprising he's doing it with what appears to be a 20".
Old 2019-02-22, 01:42 AM   #40
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
I'd bet playing an end blown flute like the one in the video would be easier then a transverse (side-blown) flute that the Acrorebel was thinking of. But what do I know, I can't play either.
It definitely is much easier playing an end-blown fipple flute on or off the unicycle than the transverse flute. Among other things the, embouchure is much more difficult on the transverse flute, it's a struggle for me.
Old 2019-02-22, 01:50 AM   #41
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Quote:
On my last ride, I practiced holding my hands like I was holding a tin whistle..to get a sense of what you're dealing with. I found that position challenging, not good for balance. It was much harder than I first imagined. I suppose that when the arms are taken out of the equation of balance, the hips have to compensate.
It was a little harder than I imagined also, but after a little more practice I'm getting better. I'm still struggling with playing the flute, in particular, Green Sleeves, while idling. However, while riding forward I can play Green Sleeves about 95% as well as I can when standing still.

Of course, I can't play Green Sleeves that well while standing still, but I'm getting there. At least friends and family can recognize I'm playing Green Sleeves when I tell them to guess what tune I'm playing(they also comment that I'm a little off). Darn that A# is often hard to get right since it involves half-holing but I will improve. I think this would be significantly easier with a 20". I often alternate flute-playing with practicing idling with my arms completely still or behind my back and also with juggling.
Old 2019-03-13, 02:01 AM   #42
Acrorebel
Joggler & unicyclist

Update:

I finally got a 20"! Really impressed so far. At first I couldn't even free-mount the thing, I had to use a wall. It felt awkward riding it but I got a little used to it after a few minutes then could successfully free-mount after coming off.

A few minutes later and I was juggling while riding the 20" and then juggling while idling on it. It felt awkward because this is my first time ever riding a 20" but I noticed right away that it's a lot less strenuous idling on it than the 24" I've been using for 4 years. I also was riding in circles backwards on the 20".

I would have tried playing tin whistle while idling but it was too cold and need to play without gloves on. I'm guessing I won't feel wiped out after a minute of playing tin whistle while idling on the 20" compared to the 24", especially after adjusting to the size. I'll still practice with the 24 sometimes, since I think we learn faster and deeper when we practice a skill on different size unicycles(this is true of learning many things, it's called "interleaving", which I did another post on).

I think in a few weeks I should be totally used to the 20".

Last edited by Acrorebel; 2019-03-13 at 02:02 AM.

Tags
flute, instrument, playing, traverse, unicycling, unicycling musician