Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-05-23, 04:38 AM   #136
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimT View Post
More sensitive parts will not toughen up over time.
That part I kinda figured out

No, I'm sitting on my sit bones. Good to know it'll get better. Thanks, Jim.

Actually, now that I think about it, my 'more sensitive parts' seem to be better off on this seat than on the previous one. It could be due to the less curvy, almost flat shape of the Athmos.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-23, 01:23 PM   #137
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
So, my seat snapped. Right at the back of the seat post's plate.
Thankfully, this didn't come as a surprise and I had already bought a replacement: an Impact Athmos.

What I didn't notice when I got it is how thin the padding is (compared to the one on the original seat).
Now it feels like I'm sitting on a piece of wood. I won't be riding any distance any time soon.

Anyone knows this saddle? Should I expect to grow calluses on my butt?
Or maybe eat more junk food to add some natural padding?
I mean, is this something one gets used to over time?
I thought the Athmos was a unicycle model. Are you referring to the Impact "Naomi" seat? That one is harder, for sure. If you don't already wear padded bike shorts, this could be the time to start. I love the Naomi saddle. May not be good for everyone, however.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-23, 02:47 PM   #138
song
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan View Post
Would hopping be the next skill? From reading this thread, idling and going backwards sound way too hard.
I once met a guy who learned to hop before even learning to ride, partly because he started out on a beefy mountain unicycle that would have made almost anyone want to hop. I, on the other hand, started out on a $30 Craigslist special that was held together with hose clamps, so I learned idling, backwards riding and a couple of other low-impact skills before getting a sturdier unicycle and learning to hop.

Karl Marx said: "It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness." The kind of unicycle you have will play a big part in determining what skills you want to work on.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-23, 11:40 PM   #139
Garp
Monocycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
I thought the Athmos was a unicycle model. Are you referring to the Impact "Naomi" seat? That one is harder, for sure. If you don't already wear padded bike shorts, this could be the time to start. I love the Naomi saddle. May not be good for everyone, however.
The Athmos saddle is a thing in itself. See it here on UDC UK (where I bought it). It seems to be the model just before Naomi.

What I'm actually interested in is why. Considering that Impact sponsors a fairly large crew of urban riders, I'm pretty certain the extra hardness is deliberate. I just can't figure out what it's good for.
It doesn't seem to give me more control. Apart from the small discomfort, the only difference I notice is that now I'm much more aware of the ground texture, through my butt! I mean, I'm discovering a very keen sense of touch I didn't know I had
Old 2019-05-24, 02:26 AM   #140
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I'm pretty certain the extra hardness is deliberate. I just can't figure out what it's good for.
The saddle is designed to be grabbed at any point around its perimeter. To allow that for an average sized hand, the saddle has to be made thinner. If it's made thinner, the foam will have to be firmer to keep from bottoming out. So, one explanation is that the hardness is just a by-product of the shape.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-24, 11:22 AM   #141
Garp
Monocycliste

One thing that's nice though is that I'm no longer hurting my fingers with all the nuts and bolts that were under the other seat.

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress