Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-04-16, 01:00 AM   #91
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerstackmac View Post
60 hours of practice. I can free mount and I passed .6 of a km on my 26” muni yesterday. I‘m now rethinking the 26” decision.
Are you rethinking the 26" decision because you think it slowed down your learning?

The number of hours it took you to pass .6 km is right in the ballpark of how long it took me to ride the same distance. And the same applies to Garp. Kudos to both of you for sticking it out!

It's hard to say I'd have ridden my first 1/4 mile sooner on a 20" (I started on a 24"). I would probably have progressed faster toward mounting and riding short distances, but the added twitchiness of the 20" could have made longer distances harder.

I think young people learn in fewer hours because they are willing to stretch the limits of their "point of no return." An older person is going to bail out before that point. Young people are generally more flexible, making them able to ride with even more sketchiness; an older person, by contrast, might be hindered by their physical and/or psychological need to "stay in control."

Keep practicing!
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 04:06 PM   #92
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpuebloUNIdo View Post
Are you rethinking the 26" decision because you think it slowed down your learning?

The number of hours it took you to pass .6 km is right in the ballpark of how long it took me to ride the same distance. And the same applies to Garp. Kudos to both of you for sticking it out!

It's hard to say I'd have ridden my first 1/4 mile sooner on a 20" (I started on a 24"). I would probably have progressed faster toward mounting and riding short distances, but the added twitchiness of the 20" could have made longer distances harder.

I think young people learn in fewer hours because they are willing to stretch the limits of their "point of no return." An older person is going to bail out before that point. Young people are generally more flexible, making them able to ride with even more sketchiness; an older person, by contrast, might be hindered by their physical and/or psychological need to "stay in control."

Keep practicing!
elpuebloUNIdo yes, ‘the 26” is slowing me down’, that is exactly what I have been thinking for sometime, Now after reading your latest post here I’m not sure. I thought that if I switched to a 20” for a while I could get better at riding and free mounting which might make it easier for me to learn the on the 26.

Yes I will keep practicing. I’m sure I can learn on the 26, I would just like to help myself as much as I can. I know that different crank lengths will affect the effort required to propel the unicycle. Although I don’t know what length one would choose to get the desired results one was hoping for. In my case easier/faster pedalling uphill. Are there trade offs when switching crank length, like gaining speed going uphill but maybe more effort required going downhill, or something else? The Nimbus 26” Muni I have, has 150mm cranks, what would be a good alternate choice, if that would help? Would longer cranks and a 20” possibly be the way to go?

You mentioned that Garp and I were at about the expected level for hours spent practicing. Thank you, that is certainly encouraging. Maybe I don’t need to change anything? Perhaps as finnspin said, “less thinking, more riding”. Thoughts please. Yup, Garp yer rockin it.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 09:15 PM   #93
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Comparing smaller and larger wheel unicycles, the smaller wheel allows you to make larger corrections relative to what is upright/balanced. The larger unicycle, by contrast, won't tolerate being as far "off-kilter" before causing a UPD. Beginners are by nature off-kilter, so it makes sense to me they have unicycles that work with their imbalance. And there is the added benefit of not falling as far forward/down on the smaller wheel.

I think it may be possible to make a larger wheel behave like a smaller wheel by putting on longer cranks. This gives you greater leverage, allowing you to make adjustments while more off-kilter.

I think you should buy some sort of a 20". I am guessing that it will accelerate your progress. Given your riding conditions, I suggest a 19" trials with 138-140mm cranks.
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 07:33 AM   #94
pierrox
Unicyclist

Some people say "I learned on a 24", and I'm sure it worked for them. But it's often overlooked that there is still 20% difference, and it just means a 24" goes faster for the same RPM - and that would be 30% between a 26" and a 20".
Usually beginners try to go slowly. It's scary enough to try and stay on that thing, why would I add speed to my next fall! And the 20" is good for that because it's pretty good at being ridden slowly, and the cadence you need to keep on the thing makes it go at a non-threatening speed, about walking pace actually. Same cadence on the 24" and you're already at a more serious speed, where you feel way less in control.
The reverse is true: when you step back on a 20" after a long time on a bigger wheel, it feels super twitchy. Which is partly because you can ride faster now, so when you revisit the 20", you don't ride it at the slow pace you used to when you were learning.
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, learning, milestones, progress