Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-11, 09:46 AM   #46
Setonix
Unicyclist

Yes horrible. I think when I decide to go unicycling, all the eyes should stay home.
I'd like to ride to work more often by unicycle, but thinking of the eyes ( and possibly remarks ) I get along the way, often makes me change my mind and I take the car.
And there is a difference in attitude in different countries as well. Like in the Netherlands other people have a bigger urge to open their mouths and out their thoughts, where as in Denmark, people just look but keep the thoughts to themselves. Maybe I should move back there.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 04:07 AM   #47
slamdance
Unicyclist

People get scared!!!

I've noticed sometimes when I am sharing a park walkway or bicycle trail that people get scared. They grab their children or pull their dogs way over to opposite side.

It's not our intention, but people also get scared that you might fall into them. Especially, if they see you going fast or swinging/arm like crazy. I noticed that during my learning phase. Once, I got away from rails/fences and could actually ride for real, I would frequent a certain park that had a relatively wide sidewalk.

Now, that I am fairly competent, when I am passing people I try to go super slow and keep my hands/arms either on my hips or on the saddle. They see me in total absolute control ). I may even show off a bit. Do a stall and quick idle, or even go off the sidewalk and onto the grass.

I like when kids points at me and say, "what the heck is that?" Keep on.
slamdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 02:13 PM   #48
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamdance View Post
I like when kids points at me and say, "what the heck is that?"
I appreciate the comments of kids more than adults. Yesterday, in the park, a ~5 yr. old kid said, "How does he do that?"
elpuebloUNIdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 07:18 PM   #49
pierrox
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
Yes horrible. I think when I decide to go unicycling, all the eyes should stay home.
I'd like to ride to work more often by unicycle, but thinking of the eyes ( and possibly remarks ) I get along the way, often makes me change my mind and I take the car.
I feel you. I don't care when I go for a ride because I'm just passing by those strangers. But I never bring it up at work, nor ride to work (would need a shower on arrival!). I got sort of cornered to talk about it recently though. Was having lunch with my colleagues (we're a small team, 6 people), and the discussion turned to sports and hobbies. And even though I do ride a bike to work and tried to pretend it was my workout, I ended up admitting that I also had a weird workout on one wheel. Now they want to see me do it of course...
pierrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-19, 01:31 AM   #50
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

The other day, kids from the local school (a boarding school) came swarming to my training grounds (also theirs, to be fair) after class. About a hundred of them, from 11 to 14 years old.
To my surprise, it didn't bother me and I just kept practicing.
Since I was working on one-foot idling and not showing signs of an imminent face plant, they quickly lost interest.

A moment later, three little girls came to me, with the daring one in the middle asking very politely if I could show them what it looked like to be riding, as they've never seen it before.
Without thinking, I said "Sure", made a beautiful slo mo static mount, followed by one of these oh-so-cool little adjustment hops, rode a few meters, did a sharp and precise transition to backward, stopped exactly where I started, remained balanced for two seconds, then slowly brought one foot to the ground.
The three girls were making an 'O' with their mouths.

I was totally showing off (first time!) and pretty happy about it

Of course, that covered most of the extent of what I've managed to master in a gazillion of hours of hard work.
But they didn't know that
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-19, 01:50 AM   #51
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

I ride my unicycle for transport to go to work. Well, there was a competition in the team and you had to share photos of the exercise activity you do in the week in order to be in the running. Winner wins a Fitbit. Well, guess who won....

Btw. There was some other extreme activities shown by other entrants such as Ice hockey (this is Australia!) and medieval fighting....

I think sharing photos of my ride down to Sydney Harbour with the Bridge in the background may have won me some brownie points from the CIO though who initiated/sponsored the competition.

Last edited by Gockie; 2019-09-19 at 02:04 AM.
Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-19, 03:07 PM   #52
song
Unicyclist

What impresses the non-unicycling public is not the same as what impresses other unicyclists. Idling takes a bit of work to learn, and one-footed idling takes a bit of additional work, but once upon a time, when I showed my awesome new idling skills to a crowd of 5 year-olds pressing their noses up against the fence, they got completely bored right away. When I rode around in little circles, though, suddenly their enthusiasm returned.

It's not impossible to predict what a crowd will like, I guess, but it won't necessarily be in proportion to your skill level or the amount of time you put into learning a skill. If your only unicycle skill were mounting and forward riding, you could probably still make a popular show just out of that if you were a skilled street performer. You could throw in some good political commentary or whatever, and keep people laughing or crying while they waited for that brief unicycle riding moment, which you would then milk for all it was worth. If, on the other hand, you have a bunch of awesome unicycle skills but you fail to connect with your audience, it is quite possible that they will ignore you.

More generally, I also think people like to see movement, especially if they are kids, and the whole point of idling is that you are not moving. Stillstanding, though a much harder skill, would probably be even worse in this regard, but here I am only guessing, and do not speak from experience! I practice my wheel walking next to a basketball court that is often full of rowdy teenagers. They often get enthusiastic about my unicycle, and every now and then one of them will try to ride it, or be ridiculed by his peers for wanting to try to ride it, but not one of them has ever said a word about my wheel walking.
song is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-25, 08:10 PM   #53
mrfixit
Unicyclist

Sorry, I'm not impressed with wheelwalking or one foot anything. That's partly because I'm not interested in learning it and don't know ( or care) about how hard it is.

That might change when I want to learn it.

Last edited by mrfixit; 2019-09-25 at 08:10 PM.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 04:48 AM   #54
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit View Post
Sorry, I'm not impressed with wheelwalking or one foot anything. That's partly because I'm not interested in learning it and don't know ( or care) about how hard it is.

I am doing my part to make wheel walking look cool, practicing on grass and uneven surfaces. I think maybe mountain wheel walking could be a thing. I just need some shoes with more grip. And a brake for going down hills.

Mrfixit, I appreciate your honesty. I tend to take it personally when others point out how unimportant things I like are to them. But then I remember that there are many unicycling skills I have no interest in learning. My major reason for avoiding certain tricks is self-preservation. I would probably not be wheel walking today had I not learned on the safe grass.
Old 2019-09-26, 12:25 PM   #55
mrfixit
Unicyclist

Sometimes showing off is not falling in front of someone.
mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 01:19 PM   #56
elpuebloUNIdo
Viva la revolucion!

Quote:
I know what you mean, especially if I'm riding up a hill and others are watching. If I'm not falling off, however, I'm sending the wrong impression about learning to unicycle.
Old 2019-09-26, 04:20 PM   #57
lowerstackmac
Unicyclist

Quote:

I on the other hand, am very impressed with a zillion things I can’t and have no intention of ever doing. I admire the dedication and perseverance of people who are willing to commit so much time and energy into learning a skill. Be it musical instruments, unicycles, welding or whatever, I just love to see people excel.
lowerstackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 05:05 PM   #58
andersbikin
DK Biker

Quote:
Lol tell me about it xD
andersbikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show off