Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-17, 11:15 PM   #31
Garp
aspiring flatlandist

@MuniAddict:
I'm no engineer but I remember Archimedes' lever principle.
Can you really pull a little hard or put some weight on that long handle without tearing off its attachment?
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 11:25 PM   #32
MuniAddict
UniGeezer - Not "2" Tired

Here it is flipped upside down. After a test ride I prefer this position.

Name:  IMG_20190917_155841-600x800.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  78.8 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook
MuniAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-17, 11:27 PM   #33
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
@MuniAddict:
I'm no engineer but I remember Archimedes' lever principle.
Can you really pull a little hard or put some weight on that long handle without tearing off its attachment?
Definitely seems to be solid. It's held by the same bolts used for a lift handle or KH brackets. If necessary, I guess I could reinforce it with a couple of U brackets.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-17 at 11:29 PM.
Old 2019-09-18, 11:48 AM   #34
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuniAddict View Post

Definitely seems to be solid. It's held by the same bolts used for a lift handle or KH brackets. If necessary, I guess I could reinforce it with a couple of U brackets.
I'd worry about it failing - when you push down, all the stress is going to be at that forward bolt, where there's a hole drilled top and bottom to weaken things. That's a recipe for fatigue failure, even if it's solid enough in the normal sense.

Probably be fine for me, since I don't ride much, but not for you!
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-18, 01:41 PM   #35
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
I'd worry about it failing - when you push down, all the stress is going to be at that forward bolt, where there's a hole drilled top and bottom to weaken things. That's a recipe for fatigue failure, even if it's solid enough in the normal sense.

Probably be fine for me, since I don't ride much, but not for you!
Time will tell.

Website
Videos
Facebook
Old 2019-09-18, 04:58 PM   #36
finnspin
one wheeled cycling

Quote:
Time will tell.
People are always so worried about failing parts here.. They don't usually lead to spectacular bails, just regular ones.

The "Schwanzus Longus"-style handle ("Biggus Dickus" in German) is quite popular with a few riders I know. Although commonly a shorter version than MuniAddicts. U Bolts through the seatbase are how they attach them , and it seems to work.

I've yet to ride a handle saddle for a longer distance, I liked it a lot for trials, and on a Muni I tried it for a few minutes. Wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought.

I don't think there is a good way to use my index finger on the brake with the handle saddle, which I kinda think is the "correct" finger to use, so that would be a big issue for me. Other than that, ergonomically, it makes a lot more sense than the conventional seat and plastic handle. I'm also not a fan of the KH T-Bar design, since my own spin on Murphys law is: "Anything that can be adjusted, will go out of adjustment frequently."
Old 2019-09-18, 10:21 PM   #37
MuniAddict

I redesigned the setup so now the wood insert that fills the recessed area is attached directly under the saddle via the existing four bolt pattern. And the handle has now been attached in the center using two pipe straps. Everything now comes out in one piece and is very easy to install without needing to remove the saddle cover. If I want to flip the handle 180 I simply remove the screws from the center of the straps, flip it 180 and reinsert screws in the corresponding holes on the other side. Out for a test ride and this modification is super sturdy.

Name:  IMG_20190918_151624-600x800.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  108.1 KB
Name:  IMG_20190918_152900.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  243.3 KB

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-18 at 10:30 PM.
Old 2019-09-18, 11:48 PM   #38
Gockie
Gal who started riding at nearly 41

Quote:
I redesigned the setup so now the wood insert that fills the recessed area is attached directly under the saddle via the existing four bolt pattern. And the handle has now been attached in the center using two pipe straps. Everything now comes out in one piece and is very easy to install without needing to remove the saddle cover. If I want to flip the handle 180 I simply remove the screws from the center of the straps, flip it 180 and reinsert screws in the corresponding holes on the other side. Out for a test ride and this modification is super sturdy.

Attachment 72964
Attachment 72965
Reckon it's an improvement.
Now if it was to fail, I reckon it would be at one of these spots where the pipe strap attaches. I'm going off an assumption it's attached screwed into the wood piece or plastic only. If the screws are really long, then I reckon it will be fine.
Attached Images

Gockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-19, 01:43 AM   #39
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
Reckon it's an improvement.
Now if it was to fail, I reckon it would be at one of these spots where the pipe strap attaches. I'm going off an assumption it's attached screwed into the wood piece or plastic only. If the screws are really long, then I reckon it will be fine.
Those are machine screws and they go all the way through with holes countersunk on the other side for the corresponding lock washers and nuts so it's pretty secure. But because wood can crack I am planning on making a mold with J-B Weld to replace the wooden insert. If that turns out not to be satisfactory then I will find a piece of half inch nylon or polyethylene and cut that out to the same shape.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-19 at 01:51 AM.
Old 2019-09-19, 05:39 PM   #40
MrImpossible
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnspin View Post
People are always so worried about failing parts here.. They don't usually lead to spectacular bails, just regular ones.

The "Schwanzus Longus"-style handle ("Biggus Dickus" in German) is quite popular with a few riders I know. Although commonly a shorter version than MuniAddicts. U Bolts through the seatbase are how they attach them , and it seems to work.
Having an aerobar break with your weight on it, on a geared road uni, is pretty much a worst case failure - result would likely be a high speed faceplant into a rock hard road surface. Ugh.

U-bolts sounds like a pretty good way to attach a bar - no holes drilled in the bar, and bolt spreads the load out instead of concentrating it at single already weakened point.
MrImpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 01:31 AM   #41
MuniAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrImpossible View Post
Having an aerobar break with your weight on it, on a geared road uni, is pretty much a worst case failure - result would likely be a high speed faceplant into a rock hard road surface. Ugh.

U-bolts sounds like a pretty good way to attach a bar - no holes drilled in the bar, and bolt spreads the load out instead of concentrating it at single already weakened point.
This modified setup feels as solid as any handle I've ever used, and I really never put a lot of weight on it either pulling up or pushing down. If I'm doing steep climbing my grip is much closer to the front of the saddle so there's less stress on the interface. I've ridden it pretty hard the last few days and it feels solid as a rock. This started out as just an experiment while I was waiting for the mad4one saddle handle.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-20 at 01:32 AM.
Old 2019-09-20, 10:46 AM   #42
Vogelfrei80
Beginner

The handle saddle could grant access to the seatpost tube

Using the handle saddle I can reach the inside of the seatpost... will take a picture of the Co2 pump and small tool I'll be able to hide inside in the next days
Vogelfrei80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 06:23 PM   #43
fetzenschorsch
„I donˋt like Carpaccio tires.“

handle saddle

Markus Büchel (aka turtle in this forum) is experimenting with a loop bar.
Attached Images

Old 2019-09-21, 02:44 PM   #44
monociclos
Doin` trials

Send a message via Yahoo to monociclos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzenschorsch View Post
Markus Büchel (aka turtle in this forum) is experimenting with a loop bar.
Any more info regarding this loop handle??

I'm very interested!!
Old 2019-09-22, 12:47 AM   #45
MuniAddict

I saw his DIY Loop handle about a week ago somewhere on Facebook. There was a picture showing the underside where he drilled large holes through the bottom of the tubing and then smaller holes through tube walls closest to the interface where the bolts screw into the existing four bolt pattern. So, like my first mod, his handle is being held on by bolts that go through only one wall of the tubing.

Website
Videos
Facebook

Last edited by MuniAddict; 2019-09-22 at 12:51 AM.

Tags
handle, saddle