Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-09-10, 08:40 PM   #16
Alice Arctan
rhymes with dark tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gockie View Post
My KH handle is only attaching with 3 screws. I'm just a bit worried about that.
I can say from experience that unless you're riding hard muni you'll be fine.
Alice Arctan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-11, 12:07 PM   #17
aj1500
Unicyclist

so I took the 24 out yesterday, it has to original torker seat on it.
first I want to say that muscle memory can get you in trouble when going from a 29 or up I would imagine down to a 24 or less
first mount attempt, I didn't think too much about it I just stepped up and made my normal mount and WHOA right over the front I went straight to the ground I'm sure many can relate to that one
any way I had stopped by the LBS and picked up some cream and tried that for the first time. All I can say is I can't believe I hadn't done this sooner
what a difference it makes. the torker saddle is a little thinner in the middle but doesn't have the relief cut in the middle, I didn't have as much rubbing pain but got some squeezing of the privates so I think shaving a little off the middle of my KH is going to happen soon. looks like I have a pretty good seat
couple minor mods and it will be a great seat
Old 2019-09-11, 01:11 PM   #18
aj1500
Unicyclist

Oh yeah forgot to mention, pedaling the 24 with the 150 cranks like to wore me out, right off the bat I could tell the longer strokes were making me sort of bounce when I applied more power to sprint. I'm looking forward to changing them to the 140's
Old 2019-09-11, 01:25 PM   #19
Setonix
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
Oh yeah forgot to mention, pedaling the 24 with the 150 cranks like to wore me out, right off the bat I could tell the longer strokes were making me sort of bounce when I applied more power to sprint. I'm looking forward to changing them to the 140's
The other day I decided to ride to work by mountain-bike. Now it happens very very rarely that I ride a bike and almost always ride uni. The first thing I noticed was that the cranks we so long. Even though you don't have the bouncing on a bike, I did believe I would get less tired with shorter cranks. Then again I have 21 gears as compensation and I do go a lot faster than on a uni. Another thing I noticed was that it was very scary to let go of the steer. Riding no hands on a bike felt very strange, even though I had no problem with it before learning to ride unicycle.

Last edited by Setonix; 2019-09-11 at 01:27 PM.
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-11, 01:43 PM   #20
aj1500
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setonix View Post
I noticed was that it was very scary to let go of the steer. Riding no hands on a bike felt very strange, even though I had no problem with it before learning to ride unicycle.
isn't that weird, I have the same issue when I ride my MB I guess it's just a completely different type of balance between the 2
Old 2019-09-12, 08:07 AM   #21
Quax1974
Wobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1500 View Post
stopped by the LBS and picked up some cream and tried that for the first time. All I can say is I can't believe I hadn't done this sooner
what a difference it makes.
Such an easy, and often overlooked, fix to discomfort
Quax1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-12, 09:52 AM   #22
OneTrackMind
Unicyclist

Quote:
The other day I decided to ride to work by mountain-bike. Now it happens very very rarely that I ride a bike and almost always ride uni.
One is never far from an instant dismount on a uni. A bike makes me worry about getting tangled up with the thing if have to dismount suddenly. Bikes feel so dangerous now, especially at speed. Ironic really when considering the common view of unicycling as dangerous.

The "no hands" body movements to steer a uni are different from a bicycle. I think the biggest problem might be the slow steering response on the bike due to the long wheel base and loose coupling to the rider.

The unicyclist feels like the bicycle is not responding and it can be very unnerving. It is not uncommon for serious unicylists to lose their ability to ride no hands on a bike. I can't let go on a bike any more.
Old 2019-09-15, 03:48 AM   #23
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Now it happens very very rarely that I ride a bike and almost always ride uni.
Checks this quote against Setonix's info: Yes, is from The Netherlands. Rarely rides a bike. But rides unicycles all the time, so I guess that makes it "normal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrackMind View Post
It is not uncommon for serious unicylists to lose their ability to ride no hands on a bike. I can't let go on a bike any more.
I've got to put a seat on my old Miyata Triplecross (bike) and see if that's true for me...

I've done so very little bicycle riding in years. What little I do is either very brief, and usually on one of my wife's recumbents (or both). Recumbents don't no-hands very well at all, or if at all. But I have occasionally had the old Artistic Bike out, and though it has very steep frame geometry, I can no-hands that one. Maybe that's all that's keeping me in practice!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy

Last edited by johnfoss; 2019-09-15 at 03:50 AM.
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #24
Setonix
Unicyclist

However much I ride unicycle, I don't think I will ever consider it to be normal. And to be honest, those times that I do ride a bike, I notice how easy and fast it is. Unicycling has given me more strength in my legs so I can ride even faster on a bike than 4 years ago before I started unicycling. Also a bike doesn't give any stress when deciding to ride to work. Of course bikes get boring pretty quickly ^_^
Setonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
long, rides, seat